Biotechnology engineering scope in India is rising, it is basically the study and research of microorganisms, bio-organism, and cell functions in living beings.
Biotechnology = biology + technology.
Biotechnology is the field of chemical engineering and applied biology that gives results in the use of medicine, and technology that makes a significant effect on living beings' life.
Is there any scope for biotechnology engineering in India?
It is the most chosen career option as more than 50% of Indian students pursue it every year. Biotechnology engineers are in great demand as the Indian medical industry will become 100 billion dollars by 2025 and one of the fastest growing sectors.
So, this industry has a lot of potentials to grow, will help in career growth and provide vibrant jobs.
Career as a biotechnology engineer and its scope in India
Biotechnology engineering jobs are available both in the public and private sectors.
Hence, biotechnology engineers can join national and international research institutes and can get job positions as scientists, research assistants, research associates, technical assistants etc. And engineers can get into the food & pharmaceutical industry, vaccine manufacturing industry and dairy as well.
Even the food and dairy industry has provided a lot more opportunities for biotechnology engineers, so this again increases jobs for engineers.
There are many branches to choose from
- Medical Biotechnology
- Plant Biotechnology
- Environmental Biotechnology
- Applied Microbiology
Best institute in India for biotechnology engineering
There are 294 colleges offering biotechnology engineering and annual fees range from 2 to 5 lakhs. Some top colleges are:
- Indian Institutes of Technology, Delhi: IIT Delhi is the number one college for biotechnology and 116+ available seats are there. Even though, eligibility for this institute is JEE mains and JEE advance. Fees for this course total 8.47 lakh and the job package will be around 15 LPA.
- Indian Institutes of Technology, Kharagpur: IIT Kharagpur is also offering this course and 115+ seats are available here. Eligibility for this institute is JEE mains and JEE advance. Fees for this course total 8.32-9.15 lakh and the job package will be 15-16 LPA.
- Manipal Institute of Technology: Manipal is also a very good private college for biotechnology. There are 60+ seats available, fees for this course are 9.85-13.1 lakh in total and job package will be 6.22-7.56 LPA. Eligibility for this institute is Manipal Entrance Test (MET).
- Chandigarh university: it is one of the leading private universities for engineering. Therefore, fees for this institute are 5.31-7.08 lakh in total and the job placement package is around 7 LPA. Eligibility criteria are by giving Chandigarh University Common Entrance Test (CUCET).
Biotechnology engineering is an emerging field and has a lot of potentials to grow further. As this industry is going to become 100 billion dollars and India is emerging as a vaccine supplier for the world.
So, to fulfil all need there is going to be a huge demand for biotechnologists, and this is a great time to pursue this course.